Using a Bread Machine to Knead Dough
The most difficult part of making dough would have to be the kneading process, but you can use your bread machine to do all the hard work for you. All you need to do is master the dough cycle on your bread machine.
Even professional bakers find the process of kneading dough to be tedious.
Kneading dough by hand is not only very time consuming but also very tough on your body and wrists. To make matters worse it makes a big mess and the constant dusting with flour to try to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands feels like a never-ending nightmare. Your bread machine is the answer that you have been looking for.
You will need to know when your bread machine has completed the kneading process and when the rising process has begun. Some bread machines will flash or beep to let you know while others might take a short break in between cycles.
Once the bread machine has finished kneading the dough you will need to let it rise. Either leave it in the bread machine to rise or remove the dough from the machine and cover it with a towel in a warm place in your kitchen. Either way, leave your dough to rise.
Let it rise
To get the best rise out of your dough you should take the dough out of your bread machine and cover it with plastic wrap then put it on a baking tray and allow it to rest for 30 to 40 minutes. Before your dough begins to rise for the second time you should need to work it into the shape that you want it in.
Shape your dough
Decide what shape you would like to have your dough in. Then cut your dough into even size stripes and roll into dough balls then shape them to your preference. Once you have shaped your dough you will need to let the shaped dough rise for the second time. The dough will rise to twice its original size.
Make pizza dough in your bread machine
If you want to spoil your children or yourself, try making your own pizza dough in your bread machine.
You will need
- ¾ cup of warm water
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast (recommended yeast for your bread machine)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Pour the warm water into the pan of your bread machine, and then add the flour on the top of the water. Sprinkle with salt and sugar and then top it with yeast. Set your bread machine on the dough setting and then push the start button. Sit back and relax while the bread machine kneads the dough and does all the work for you. Once the machine has completed its cycle, transfer your dough onto a lightly floured work surface.
- Preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Roll or stretch your dough out into a thin crust but leave the dough thicker around the edges. Then place your dough on to a pizza baking sheet. Brush the dough with olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Top with your favorite ingredients such as bacon, cheese, garlic, tomatoes, ham or whatever else you like on your pizza.
- Bake for the final time until the crust goes crispy and the cheese melts.
- Let it cool then enjoy.
When you don’t need to knead the dough yourself and the bread machine does all the hard work for you, making pizza dough is a breeze and a great treat for your family.
What is the dough setting on your bread machine?
The dough setting on your bread making machine is for making dough. The machine will combine the ingredients then knead the dough for you so that you don’t have to do all the hard work yourself. Kneading the dough is a very important part of the process. The flour needs to mix with the water and the best way to do this is by kneading the dough.
The gliadin and glutenin proteins in the flour expand and form strands. These strands are known as gluten and gluten is what gives bread its texture. Kneading the dough is basically knocking back and punching down the dough over and over again once the dough has been left to proof.
This process is very tiring to do by hand and it is one of the many reasons why people hate making homemade bread. Your bread machine will knead your dough to perfection for you while you sit back and relax.
Over-kneading the dough can easily happen when you are doing using your hands to do the job. This is avoided by using your bread machine instead.